Transforming Bedside Pain Management is as easy as M…O…D!
The MOD® is a secure wireless PCA device that holds eight doses of the patient’s pain medication. The device is safely locked onto an IV pole and delivered to the bedside within easy reach of the patient. A Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) wristband is registered to the receiving patient through MODTrac™, the device’s software program. Clinician orders are entered into the MODTrac system and at prescribed lock-out time intervals, a green light illuminates and the patient knows that the next dose of pain medication is available, as/if needed. Sixty minutes after each dose, the patient is prompted to re-enter his or her pain score, providing the healthcare team with a real-time view of how the patient’s pain is responding to the prescribed treatment.
The device is easy to use…
The MOD® delivers many benefits …
- Clinical trials have shown that patients who have the ability to access their own pain medications report better pain control and overall satisfaction.
- The MOD® device provides for an improved transition from the intravenous PCA to an oral PCA pain program prior to discharge.
- Time saved by using the device use will free up more nursing time to devote to better quality care. The device eliminates the need for the patient to request – and the nurse to deliver – each needed dose.
- Allowing patients controlled access to their own pain medication decreases the moral stress nurses often experience when balancing concurrent patient needs during any given shift.
- Patients’ pain scores are recorded with each dose for TJC compliance.
The MOD® device offers bi-directional wireless functionality and integration with electronic medical record systems to seamlessly transfer essential pain scores and pain data for each patient to their individual electronic health record. In addition, Avancen’s MOD® device solutions include a state-of-the-art MS Sequel database with query and report generation as part of the product offering, capturing the facility’s pain data for all patients in all units 24/7, allowing for rapid assessment of the efficacy of pain therapy and identification of needed therapy changes with just a few clicks.
Safer, More Cost Effective Care
The MOD® device may help hospitals reduce costs in materials, equipment and staff time. Pain management with oral medications is the preferred route of control once patients can take oral medications. The MOD® device is an easier, safer, non-invasive PCA device. There is less risk of medication error since eight doses of the same medication are validated at one time.
The MOD® oral PCA device provides healthcare facilities an improved way to manage pain at the bedside.
To maximize the value of the MOD® device in your institution, we have designed a set of dedicated disposables that work exclusively with the MOD.
- Clear eight-dose medication trays that fit securely in the dispensing wheel of the MOD® device beneath the security cover. Each eight-dose tray is disposed at the end of therapy or upon completion of a tray of medication.
- A clear tray sealer. Upon filling the tray in pharmacy, a sealer is applied to each tray to secure and protect the medication within the tray. The sealed tray is delivered to the care unit and stored within the automated dispensing cabinet until needed for the patient.
- A specially engineered low power RFID wristband. Each wristband is programmed to the patient’s individual MOD® device at the time of initiation of therapy. Only the patient’s wristband will access his/her particular MOD® device. Wristbands are adjustable via plastic clips to accommodate different size wrists. Our RFID Wristbands are also MRI-compatible. At the end of therapy, the wristband is either disposed of or discarded.